mardi 23 novembre 2010

YEAH, I'M A TERRORIST

SLYDING MAN/INFRO/YOUR PEST BAND/DEFECT DEFECT in Kitakyushu, 2010/11/21

It's been a while since we didn't have a band from Portland touring here. And in one week we could see two bands from PDX. Well i went to the BURNING LEATHER show, but didn't stay. I was hungry and cold, so i just stopped to say hello and talked to some friends. the DEFECT DEFECT show is another story. I was happy to see a band from portland that doesn't sound like all the other bands you can think of.

I don't really like the place where our friend Nishi is doing his show now. Sort of a bar, and it must be really cheap, which can explains why he does all his shows there. The local bands were good as usual. I like more and more INFRO and SLYDING MAN. I feel they finally got their own sound, their own personality. And they start to do more things, have more projects (tours, records, etc...). Definitely worth checking if you like noisy-cheap punk rock or 90's emo hardcore punk bands...

DEFECT DEFECT were touring with YOUR PEST BAND, a young band from Tokyo, who released all their records on SNUFFY SMILES. So they basically sound like what you expect from a SNUFFY SMILES band. Melodic and energic punk rock, influenced by the 80's and 90's English punk rock scene. But i feel that there is a rock'n'roll vibes in this band. Like a 70's rock influence that could go from the STOOGES to LED ZEPPELIN, from the MC5 to the ROLLING STONES...i don't know, it's what i felt, and i enjoyed it more than the first time i saw them.

DEFECT DEFECT were exactly like i imagined ! I mean great ! The new songs sounded great live (as well as the old ones), and the atmosphere was great ! The band seemed to enjoy playing, being here in japan, and people were dancing, singing, shouting. Well i guess that Colin, the vocalist helped a lot to have that kind of atmosphere. He was really funny and looking for some fun. Giving hugs to people during the songs, making them sing, or dancing with them. That was really great to see.
There is something is always liked in DEFECT DEFECT, it's this dark feeling you can get when listening to their song. Something sad, like in their song We've already lost, which is one of my favourite song of their album.





We had a good time at home, eating like pigs and talking a lot with friends. I was really surprised to see how the band was talkative. I am usually uneasy when i see some japanese people trying to speak english, because most of the time, the US people don't give a shit, as they don't understand anything. But that night was cool, they were all trying to understand each other with dictionnary and gesture. That was really cute ! I even talk a lot, and had a lot of fun, which still surprises me. To see Colin and Satomi talking about France, Lyon and the friends we have in common (hi panpan), all in a cute broken french, made my night !



The morning was kind of hard for everyone. Short breakfast watching the news. Then just enough time to give the last presents, and the last hugs under the rain. Then they were gone...
Thanks again. That was really pleasant. Come back when you want. We really have to go to Portland one day...



By the way, there is a 3 way split 7" (YOUR PEST BAND/DEFECT DEFECT/GROANING GROOVE) released by SNUFFY SMILES, which is really good. I have to thank DEFECT DEFECT for their song Not dead yet on this new record. The lyrics of this song are great, and i feel i could have write those words.

Aucun commentaire: